Do You Need An Alcohol License To Work In A Bar?

When it comes to laws around alcohol, it can get pretty confusing, especially where licenses are concerned.

By law, businesses, organisations, and individuals who are selling or supplying alcohol must have a license to do so, which can come in the form of a personal license, a premises license, or a Temporary Events Notice.

These laws are designed to ensure that all alcohol is sold or supplied responsibly and to minimise any alcohol-related issues from occurring in the community, and it’s key that all bar workers understand their responsibility when it comes to selling alcohol.

So, to give you a helping hand, we’re going to take a quick look at what the different licenses are, whether you need one to work in a bar, and how you can apply for one.

What are the different licenses?

There are a number of different alcohol licenses required to sell or supply alcohol and bars will be required to hold two of them: a premises license and a personal license.

A premises license authorises any premises, whether it’s a bar, a restaurant, or a club, to sell or supply alcohol on its property. If a premises is found without a license, it can be subject to closure and large fines.

A personal license must be held by the Designated Premises Supervisor, who authorises those without a license to sell or supply alcohol within the premises.

This guide by the UK Government offers more information on the different types of license available.

Do I need an alcohol license to work in a bar?

You do not require an alcohol license to work in a bar unless you wish to be a Designated Premises Supervisor.

The Designated Premises Supervisor is the main point of contact and will be required to hold a personal license. Anyone else who works at the bar will be authorised to sell alcohol by the Designated Premises Supervisor and do not require their own personal license.

However, in order to comply with the law, the Designated Premises Supervisor must be contactable at all times and must be involved enough in the business to be able to act as its representative.

Is it worth getting one?

Although it isn’t required to work in a bar, obtaining a personal license could help your job prospects if you wish to pursue a career in the hospitality industry.

Many managers and supervisors are required to hold a license, so obtaining one in advance could help you to secure senior positions. And, as it’s a highly valued qualification in the industry, it can make you a much more appealing candidate as it demonstrates an awareness of licensing laws and the responsibility required to sell alcohol.

A personal license course enables you to improve in your job by helping you to gain a better understanding of alcohol laws, asking for identification, and acting responsibly with customers, which enables you (and the business you’re working for) to continuously improve.

If you wish to gain a personal alcohol license, you need to go through a legitimate accreditor such as Hospitality Training Solutions, who provide a course and the final assessments.



Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.

we respect your privacy and take protecting it seriously
(Visited 80 times, 1 visits today)
Sulfites are NoChefMod: PURCHASING POWER REIGNITED t the Culprit for Wine Headaches


Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *